Friday, May 31, 2019

Open Source Leadership Team Meeting Minutes - 17 May 2019



The open source Zeek project Leadership Team (LT) is made up of contributors from multiple organizations throughout the community. The LT acts as both a technical steering committee and governance body. You can find out more about the LT on the team page of the website.

Below are the notes from the LT meeting held on 17 May 2019.


Zeek.org Leadership Team Members (Bold indicates attendance)
  • Keith Lehigh (Chair), Indiana University
  • Johanna Amann, International Computer Science Institute/Corelight/Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
  • Seth Hall, Corelight
  • Vern Paxson, Corelight & University of California at Berkeley
  • Michal Purzynski, Mozilla Foundation
  • Aashish Sharma, Lawrence Berkeley Lab
  • Adam Slagell, ESnet
  • Robin Sommer, Corelight
Other Attendees (Non-Member)
  • Amber Graner, Corelight, Director of Community for the Open Source Zeek Community
  • Tamara Crawford*, Creative Director, Corelight
    • Helping with the LT with Logo Redesign

Agenda

  • Logo Discussion
  • Web Analytics next steps - will be discussed at the next LT Meeting
  • ZeekWeek Site (Amber)
  • Sponsor Prospectus (Amber)
  • Keynote update (Keith)
  • Trademark issue (Keith)

Minutes

  • Logo Discussion - Discussion continues, narrowed down designs. Agreed to separate mascot from logo. Mascot will be another discussion. Nicole Fisher who is doing the logo design couldn’t make it to the LT meeting so Tamara Crawford attended for Nicole. Nicole to present new mockups to the LT for discussion before next meeting. Amber to draft a blog post on why we are changing the logo. Logo to be finished by Mid August so that we can have it and all giveaways ready with the new logo for ZeekWeek. Please note: Corelight is working with the LT and funding the logo redesign.
    • Amber will help liaison between Corelight and LT and be a back up to Adam
    • Better understanding on need to accelerate decision pace
      • SWAG is important
      • Takes 6 Weeks prior to an event to get Mugs laser etched
      • Stickers
      • Tshirts
    • Logo to be finalized by Mid-August
    • Animal Mascot will be separate from Logo allows for more branding and marketing options
    • Other Ideas
      • Networking Type “Z” that is incorporated with the “eek” of “Zeek” or that can stand alone
      • Schedule follow-up call with Nicole, Adam and Tam once we have all the feedback from the LT
  • Web Analytics next steps - will be discussed at the next LT Meeting as we ran out of time at this meeting to discuss.
  • Keynote update (Keith) - Continues to reach out to prospective keynote speakers.
  • Trademark issue (Keith) - Keith continues to reach out to those in violation on a case by case basis.

Other Topics

  • ZeekWeek Steering Committee (SC) vs ZeekWeek Program Committee (PC) - The LT will continue to function as the SC but this year will have a PC will be different from the LT. The PC will decide on what talks/presentations will get selected for ZeekWeek 2019. Keith will chair the PC and will be inviting people to join the PC. Invitees will be chosen from past ZeekWeek (BroCon speakers). Talks will be submitted through the ZeekWeek website.


Helpful Links and information:

Getting Involved: If you would like to be part of the Open Source Zeek Community and contribute to the success of the project please sign up for our mailing lists, join our IRC Channel, come to our events, follow the blog and/or Twitter feed. If you’re writing scripts or plugins for Zeek we would love to hear from you! Can’t figure out what your next step should be, just reach out. Together we can find a place for you to actively contribute and be a part of this growing community.

About Zeek (formerly Bro): Zeek is a powerful network analysis framework that is much different from the typical IDS you may know. https://www.zeek.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment