Below are the notes from the LT meeting held on 3 May 2019.
Zeek.org Leadership Team Members (Bold indicates attendance)
- Keith Lehigh (Chair), Indiana University
- Johanna Amann, International Computer Science Institute & Corelight & Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Seth Hall, Corelight
- Vern Paxson, Corelight & University of California at Berkeley
- Michal Purzynski, Mozilla Foundation
- Aashish Sharma, Lawrence Berkeley Lab
- Adam Slagell, ESnet
- Robin Sommer, Corelight
- Amber Graner*, Corelight, Director of Community for the Open Source Zeek Community
- Sharing LT notes with community (Amber)
- Google Analytics in Zeek.org (Amber)
- Keynote candidates (Keith)
- Logo discussion (Adam)
- Other topics
- Sharing LT notes with community - Amber brought up this topic so that the community has more insight into the actions of the LT. The LT voted and of those in attendance all voted "yes" to share the notes. It was decided that Amber will take notes and distribute to the community.
- Google Analytics in Zeek.org - Amber brought up this topic to better understand how the community used the website and to establish baseline metrics and measure growth. The LT decided to review Google Analytics as well as alternatives prior to making to finalizing the approach. LT will review at the next LT Meeting. Johanna will present on alternate options. Amber will present on Google Analytics.
- Keynote candidates - for ZeekWeek 2019 - Keith updated the group on options for keynotes. Keith will reach out to the LT’s candidate choices and will update group at the next LT Meeting.
- Logo discussion - Adam is managing the logo redesign effort. Adam was not able to attend this meeting; however the group did discuss logo considerations. Amber to update Adam on LT’s discussion. Some considerations:
- No owl - too many other projects/companies use a version of an owl
- Explore other motifs around the “ee” of “Zeek”
- Continue exploring Abstract ideas
- Possibly more professional Logo with animal mascot that isn’t part of Logo
- Need to expedite the decision
- Other topics
- ZeekWeek 2020 - Explore cities for 2020 so we can announce at ZeekWeek 2019. LT agreed and suggested investigating Denver and San Francisco Bay Area.
- Trademark infringement - Keith will reach out to offending organization.
Helpful Links and information:
Getting Involved: If you would like to be part of the Open Source Zeek Community and contribute to the success of the project please sign up for our mailing lists, join our IRC Channel, come to our events, follow the blog and/or Twitter feed. If you’re writing scripts or plugins for Zeek we would love to hear from you! Can’t figure out what your next step should be, just reach out. Together we can find a place for you to actively contribute and be a part of this growing community.
About Zeek (formerly Bro): Zeek is a powerful network analysis framework that is much different from the typical IDS you may know. https://www.zeek.org/